Too much fresh snow for climbing
2013-09-23, Manaslu Base Camp (4930m)

After a rest day in Manaslu base camp today the whole expedition team set off to the higher camps again. Unfortunately the weather has changed. Yesterday we had lots of rain and a bit of snow here in base camp. Up in camp I one tent collapsed due to around 50cm of fresh snow.This morning the Austrians repaired it and tried to climb further to camp II, but due to heavy snow falls they decided to stay in camp I. The section between camp I and camp II is pretty prone to avalanches, so it was best to stay at camp I today. Hannes will be staying one more night here in base camp before climbing to camp I tomorrow.


The weather forecast could be better. At the moment it seems as if we will have another sunny day tomorrow before the whole weather situation will get a little more unstable. Thus, we don’t know yet if it will be possible to establish camp III within the next days. We’ll just have to wait how things turn out.


Avalanches keep coming down the faces from all directions and it’s rumbling everywhere all the time, but our base camp is absolutely safe and we can watch everything from the distance.

Let’s hope every climber finds a safe passage through the icefall tomorrow.


One thought on “Too much fresh snow for climbing

  1. Tania says:

    Stay safe!!!

Comments are closed.